Yeah, exotic weapon balance is PvP's real problem. (Destiny)

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, April 07, 2015, 16:44 (3309 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Look at the HC crucible range nerf that just happened. It didn't actually make the exotics less viable; it just made rare/legendary HC's less viable.

I barely notice the range nerf. All it did was make send it even better. I use my Devil You Know all the time in crucible; it's not any less viable than it was.

The Thorn pre-buff, with less bullets and less DOT strength, was probably where exotics should be; unique, but not necessarily better.

Thorn has to kill in two headshots, or else why use it over a legendary hand cannon? The high DoT is key to that. If the DoT doesn't kill after two shots, it's a useless perk, since 3 shots would be required to kill, but any other hand cannon can do that anyway! There is no way to make thorn's perk 'unique, but not necessarily better". It is either better, or worthless. Worse than worthless since you sacrificed an exotic slot for a gun that would perform the same as a legendary.

I love your absolutes.

I survive getting 3-shot from legendary handcannons ALL THE TIME. Very, very, VERY few people can consistently make two of those 3 shots be headshots. Thorn does a WAY better job of killing opponents when your shooting is not perfect (and the percentage of time I meet not-perfect shooting in the crucible is well over 80).

I don't have Thorn - but I die to it plenty. I don't have TDyK... but I almost never die to it. (That could be because nobody has one - but my not dying to it is true about MOST legendary HCs.)

Occasionally, I want to use a different Exotic in the Crucible, so I swap out my Last Word for Timur's Lash (soon to be Fatebringer, as soon as it's fully leveled). The difference is NIGHT AND DAY. One is a killing machine - the other requires ME to be a killing machine. I guess if I were perfect, I could make do with Timur's Lash. But I'm not. So I'm really happy with TLW.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread