Yeah, exotic weapon balance is PvP's real problem. *edits (Destiny)

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Tuesday, April 07, 2015, 16:06 (3309 days ago) @ yakaman
edited by iconicbanana, Tuesday, April 07, 2015, 16:21

Personally, I would love to see the PvP game place a bigger emphasis on primary weapons. As it is, Special ammo crates are littered around the battlefield like candy, so you're rarely without a stocked-up Shotgun/Sniper/Fusion rifle.

Snipers are the biggest reason I had issues with First Light and Bastion. As the game currently is, Shotguns are incredibly dominant, even after two nerfs.

Preferably, Ammo for these weapons will be limited to the same degree that Heavy is- because that's what they are: Power weapons. Things your team would fight to hold the spawn of in Halo.

Look, I'm happy for everyone with Thorn, Last Word, Hawkmoon, Mythoclast (of old), and whatever other super PVP primaries there are, but people need ways to counter.

Great primaries wreck the balance of PVP, period. That's fine, as this is sorta how Destiny wants to define itself. But it helps that there are a lot of options for people less...blessed to make up for it.

With my plain old Devil You Know, I lose every single battle against any of the above mentioned primaries. Or, so it seems. At least I know I can stick a shotgun in someone's chest and kill them. I barely notice snipers.

They've been nerfing entire classes based on the performance of the exotic variants of those classes, and it's ultimately led to the necessity to use OP exotic weapons that don't get nerfed enough. I don't get why, because they've shown they can fix individual weapon issues.

Look at the HC crucible range nerf that just happened. It didn't actually make the exotics less viable; it just made rare/legendary HC's less viable. Suros is still usable in crucible, but look at everything that isn't a vanquisher/grim citizen. Silvered Hushwinds aren't really cutting it anymore.

The Thorn pre-buff, with less bullets and less DOT strength, was probably where exotics should be; unique, but not necessarily better. I think Cruel is ultimately right when he says we need separate balancing for crucible/PvE; it will provide a way to balance the exotic advantage, otherwise you force people to use specific exotics they don't necessarily want to.

Ultimately, breaking apart PvP/PvE weapon balance would allow bungie to nerf specific over powered weapons specifically in crucible, and allow people to choose a greater variety of weapons and loadouts. And I think variety is one of Crucible's greatest strengths.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread