Yeah, exotic weapon balance is PvP's real problem. (Destiny)

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Wednesday, April 08, 2015, 14:33 (3308 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY
edited by CyberKN, Wednesday, April 08, 2015, 14:36

At close/mid range, they will never be as effective as shotguns and Fusion Rifles. Suros is great because it has similar effective range to HCs, PRs and SRs, but its still different to use. Since the other 3 primary weapons all have similar effective range and time to kill stats, most ARs simply aren't competitive. The few that do come close in terms of range & accuracy are great. Usable, without feeling overpowered.

Which comes back to what someone else said which is the root problem for auto rifles: shotguns and fusion rifles are not limited power weapons like in Halo, but permanent fixtures in the game. Auto Rifles are not as good precisely because at any given time, most opponents have something to counter it.

I agree, which is why I feel like it is a simpler solution to just bring ARs in line with the other primaries (which are decently well balanced between each other), rather than totally overhaul the nature of Destiny's weapon sandbox.

Absolutely.

The last nerf was overkill- 2.5% sounds fairly insignificant, but in practice it seems to be just enough that everything else can kill much quicker, at ANY range.

I think that the biggest difference between the Primary weapons should be cadence- ARs provide a steady stream, PRs have that momentary pause between bursts to allow you to re-align, HCs have a much longer pause but hit harder (risk/reward), and SRs are slightly less powerful, faster-firing versions of HCs.

That might sound kind of boring, but we're walking a fine line here. I'd rather have a bunch of very similar, but not identical weapon classes that can be competitive with each other at a set (primary-weapon specific) range, then try to find unique roles for all these weapon archetypes, and keep failing at balancing it.

Simplify the range hierarchy to Sniper > Primary > Fusion Rifle > Shotgun.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread