Yeah, exotic weapon balance is PvP's real problem. (Destiny)

by yakaman, Tuesday, April 07, 2015, 19:38 (3309 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I try and engage Thorn users with that in mind. I play normally and focus on beating them to the kill as if they had any other gun "knowing" that if I do kill them first I'm far more likely to survive the poison than I am to die from it after the fact.

This, very much so. I'm not so concerned that some Exotics (or some Legionaries for that matter) are superior - my point was that I do not want to be limited in my options for countering them. Once I've figured out who's using a superior gunfight weapon (subjective!), my strategy changes to suit. Lately, this has meant a lot of ambush-y, grenade-y, melee-y, close-quarter stuff. I don't have great primaries, but lately I'm barely using them.

I think perhaps what makes Thorn feel so much more powerful is its unique firing sound, its unique green shot trail, and the visual effect of the poison that makes you think you're going to die even when you're really probably not. It's that factor of knowing every single time a Thorn kills you, plus the occasional times a Thorn user actually does manage to kill you with with the poison, that makes you remember and grumble.

This is a pretty good point - people may simply be more aware due to the sound. However, I find myself losing a lot more of these lately. More than I did before the last update. Again, as long as I continue to have lots of play-style options to counter...no big deal.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread