The Crucible changes are just too much. (Destiny)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, April 14, 2015, 23:48 (3317 days ago) @ Korny

it sucks to be in the middle of a firefight, switch to your secondary to finish them, then see that it's empty. You then switch back to your primary that still needs to reload, and it's just awkward. Same thing with seeing a blade dancer come at you. You switch to your shotgun, but oops, it's empty. Because not only do they hold less ammo, but ammo crates take far too long to spawn.

*Shrug*

Ammo management is part of the game. Always has been. Now it's a bit more part of it. Don't like managing your ammo? Get comfortable with a high capacity primary and Invective or Icebreaker. That's what I'm doing and it's working fine so far...

Also, the Heavy ammo situation. If you wait for your teammates to show up for the Heavy, then you all get a rocket headed your way because of the one guy on the other team who didn't wait, so now you are inclined not to wait... Which wouldn't be so bad if the Heavy didn't despawn on Death, but now you have to make sure to grab it or lose it altogether. I used to save Heavy ammo for Blade Dancers, but now it's not a good proposition. All I've seen in crucible today are rocket launchers in response to disappearing ammo and the quick Charlie Foxtrots that occur in the 15 seconds after a Heavy drop. And thanks to the longer timer and map icon, getting Heavy ammo is ironically not as easy or as guaranteed, because an enemy with a Super has plenty of time to make a bolt for your team, and since your team is huddled by the heavy, he's pretty uncontested all the way there. And because of the bigger focus on Rockets, Machine Guns are out of the question; you simply can't risk holding on to Heavy ammo anymore.

The only thing different is you can't wait out the initial Heavy kerfufflel so easily. Some around here are acting like Heavy Machine Guns were not a risk vs Rocket Launchers before and now they are. No. The risk is basically the same as always. Case in point: Very often when I play with DBO groups we cluster around the heavy ammo and pick it up as soon as everyone close and interested is in range. Sure, that's more enforced now that the boxes will despawn but again I don't see it changing much of our play strategy.

I would like heavy ammo to be dropped on death again though.

Crucible's become this awkward clockwork where you are worrying more about timers than the encounters.

Disagree.

I saw an ammo crate and was like "thank the Nine", but then I saw that the timer on it was still at 45 seconds. That's almost a full minute without secondary ammo, unless I run to the next crate hoping that my teammates didn't grab it while I was respawning. I can get behind decreasing shotgun spam, but it feels like someone came up with a list of different ways to counter it, and someone said "perfect, implement them all!"

I've gotten spammed with a lot of shotguns lately, or maybe it just feels that way, so I'm for the all of the above approach at least on an idealistic level. Just started playing so maybe I'll notice some big issue and come back to this with a reconsidered opinion. We'll see...

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread