Taken King and Elemental Primaries (Destiny)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, August 21, 2015, 14:27 (3193 days ago) @ kanbo

Primary weapons, being ubiquitous and used often due to high reserve ammo, are I think just a bad choice to have elemental damage with. If you can just deal elemental damage all the time, willy nilly, it doesn't mean anything.

Taking the elemental damage off of primaries is an easy fix, but wouldn't it be better for the game if you weren't removing features? Different solutions to a problem, I guess.

In an evolving game, some features have to be cut if they have a negative effect on the game, or if you plan to improve them later.

Dying Light removed one of my favorite features of Dead Island, the Analog melee. It was a fan-favorite feature that unfortunately had to be sacrificed because of the parkour.

Halo 5 removed one of my favorite features of previous Halos, the split-screen. It was a fan-favorite feature that unfortunately had to be sacrificed because of the power of the Xbox One.

Sometimes, features are just removed after launch because they don't work well with what you want to do with the game, or because you want to change the way players approach encounters (Ice Breaker, Gjallarhorn, and Loot Cave, anyone?):

Early on, Warframe had grenades and a charge-up melee. Both were removed, and later a grenade-based character was added, along with melee combos (stances), turning generic abilities into more distinct, varied, and special ones.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread