Here's a thought: (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, August 21, 2015, 15:39 (3193 days ago) @ Claude Errera

And I really don't like this part of it.

If they make the game less challenging for -you- , why should -I- have to suffer?

Not everyone is swimming in them like you are, and I'm getting so tired of reminding you that.

You play all the time, I do not. I don't have fatebringer, and I just got VoC maybe 2 months ago and it's not leveled. My only crota primary is fang of ir yut.

I swear to god you drive me nuts. I guess you weren't really done with Destiny after all.

This adds nothing to the discussion other than past baggage. We're talking about game theory and design here, not about making the game worse for some and better for others. If talking about the top level meta-game bothers you, ignore the thread or post about how it's different at different levels.

I sort of understand your annoyance with the tone, but the question is a valid one:

Most of the discussion in this thread about elemental primaries has focused on PvE gameplay. This is different from PvP gameplay in the sense that your choice of weapons does not affect MY gameplay (this is NOT true in PvP; when you have an overpowered weapon in PvP that I don't have, I am objectively at a disadvantage).

Why should a class of weapons that does NOT affect how others play the game be nerfed because one player (or one class of player) suggests that they can't stop themselves from using it if it's around?

I sort of see the argument that "elemental primaries are so much better than the alternative that once I get one (WHENEVER I get one), I'll never go back to a non-elemental primary"... for folks who play the "most efficient gun, all the time" metagame.

I don't play that game. I enjoy having options - and I'd be sad if those options were limited just because some people feel that those options keep them from trying other things.

This would be a different conversation if elemental primaries were extra-valuable in PvP - but we don't have elemental shields, so they're irrelevant (except for their non-elemental stats).

I think it is a question of "do elemental primaries break certain parts of the game". Personally, I enjoy using a wide range of different primary weapons just to have fun with them... until it is time to "get down to business". If I'm running nightfalls or 35 Prison of Elders, activities where the odds are stacked greatly against you, I'll use my elemental primaries 99% of the time because they are so much more effective in those scenarios. If the mission is going to throw tons of shielded majors at me with elemental burns on top, I need all the help I can get.

Personally speaking, I really enjoy the elemental primaries. I like the dynamic they add to these high level PvE activities. Where Cody is coming from (I think, please correct me if I'm wrong, Cody) is that these weapons do, at times, turn the nightfall strikes into a bit of a joke. Personally, I think they're a lot of fun. But I do understand how someone could make the argument that these missions are supposed to be some of the toughest in the game, and elemental primaries break that a bit.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread