I think he misses an important point (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, September 09, 2016, 10:22 (2838 days ago) @ BeardFade

Have you guys seen this vid from tripleWRECK? Explains a lot about why I feel like I am whiffing with hand cannons sometimes.

I take issue with his "Bullets need to land exactly where you aim them every single time" argument. You can't make every gun 100% accurate at long range and expect the game to be remotely balanced. IMO the mistake Destiny makes is that there is no visual indicator to the player that their gun's accuracy is less than perfect. I had zero problem with Bloom in Reach (I actually think removing bloom ruined the game), because it was visually communicated well. Your reticule would grow and shrink as you fired, giving you a clear indication of the limits of your gun's accuracy. You knew that your bullet would land within the reticule every single time. This also put more control in the player's hands. If I was using my DMR to take long range shots at a target, I could pace my shots so that I only fired when my gun's accuracy was at its maximum potential. But if I'm engaging a target up close, I could fire a bit faster because I didn't need the same level of accuracy. The had the added benefit of slowing down the average TtK at long range (since you would fire slower to maintain accuracy). It allowed players to move around the map without worrying about getting shredded by a DMR at long range in less than a second.

And even without talking about bloom, all the reticule a in the Halo games varied in size to properly communicate the accuracy of each weapon.

Destiny doesn't do any of that, really. Most of the primary weapons are equipped with these super pinpoint scopes that create a false sense of accuracy. Even if we take recoil out of the picture, most primary weapons struggle to send their bullets exactly where your reticule says the bullet is going to go, which creates confusion. What Destiny's weapons really need is a form of hollow sight that detects the Range of your target and adjusts the size of your reticule according to your gun's potential accuracy at that range. So if I paint my sight over a target that is within my gun's ideal range, the reticule would stay small to indicate that my shots will land exactly where I want them to at this range. If I then target an enemy outside ideal range, my reticule would grow to reflect my lack of perfect accuracy at that range.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread