My thoughts on the matter (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, September 09, 2016, 14:39 (2940 days ago) @ BeardFade
edited by Cody Miller, Friday, September 09, 2016, 14:43

If you've ever fired an actual firearm, especially a pistol of some sort, then you know that it's actually quite challenging to learn to hit your target even at shortish distances (20-30 feet). You can aim down sights as perfectly as you think you are and still miss. Maybe you're hand squeezed too much and tugged left or right, maybe you weren't looking perfectly down the aim line, etc. The main point is that it's tougher than you think.

Video games are not, and should not be like real life. They should be about what is fun.

I am all for the expanded reticule matching the "cone" that bullets can travel in, however, then the reticule has to be aware of the target you are aiming at and it's distance from you. I don't think the devs want to have to store even more info like that in memory.

We are talking bytes of additional memory here. 11 guardians x 3 co-ordinates each = 33 co-ordinates to store. if they are 32 bit floating point numbers, that's a mere 44 bytes. Out of 8 GB. The game probably already knows how far they are away from you anyway, since it calculates damage dropoff.

I think, in theory, the gun should always shoot where it's pointed. To counter this, it should be much harder to point it where you think you are. Perhaps add some small twitches and spasms to the players hand/arm/body.

Adding shitty control is the last thing you should do. What you suggest should be accomplished by decreasing auto aim and bullet magnetism. Both make it harder to hit your target if you aren't aiming right at them.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread