I think he misses an important point (Destiny)

by Kahzgul, Saturday, September 10, 2016, 15:01 (2837 days ago) @ someotherguy

I'm an adamsnt believer that bullets should go where you point them. That's where recoil and range come into play. Recoil stops you pointing where you want to, and range should just affect aim stickiness and damage dropoff.

If I shoot someone a mile away, I shouldn't have as much "sticky" aiming. That's fine. If I still manage to hit them and only do 1 damage, I know I need to get closer, and that's fine too. If Im using a gun at an inapprppriate range and the recoil keeps me off target, that's also fine. All of those scenarios are a result of poor play on my part.

But if a dice roll decides whether I live or die, that's not okay. I know it might seem like a minor distinction, because bullet ghosting is also a result of range, but it negatively impacts gameplay feel when there are better, smarter design options.

I'm in this camp as well. We're space traveling magic using spec ops immortals but we don't know how to align sights to a level of accuracy equal to 1990's US military standards? It doesn't make any damn sense. Further frustrating the issue is how when hip-firing you get a bloom indicator, but it's not present when ADS. That tells me that my visual reticle bounce is my bloom indicator, except it's not. There are so many tools for ensuring that weapons are only effective at specific ranges and rates of fire, just as you say, that making the sights unreliable is just being mean to the players.

If I had to guess, they did the art assuming a CoD style of gunplay, but designed the gunplay independently. Then they never fixed the art.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread