Let's talk about Bioshock Infinite *long and spoilery baby* (Gaming)

by kanbo @, Seattle, WA, Tuesday, August 06, 2013, 17:54 (3928 days ago) @ Jillybean

I enjoyed the game while playing but kind of felt the same way as you- expecting a lot more than I got. I thought the acting was what really carried it, and I'm kind of thinking that maybe most of the reason that the story is so highly praised is because it's wrapped in some really great character performances and a pretty solid (if imperfect) setting. I didn't think that the relationship between Booker and Elizabeth was that shocking or that Comstock = Booker was a big deal- not that I had really predicted it, but it kind of seemed like 'Oh, okay. Whatever then.' The cyclical/parallel worlds idea was kinda neat, but I don't think it was done as well as other movies/books/games. I liked "always a lighthouse, always a man, always a city", but it wasn't as moving as it was in Skyward Sword, for example.

I didn't think the combat was very fun, but I loved getting lost in exploring. The atmosphere was great but I felt like I was doing the shooting and killing just to progress through the story.

Also, I felt that the idea of the plot stemming from a gambling debt to be kind of flat. It could/should have been a much more significant catalyst.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread