One little tweak... (Gaming)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, August 16, 2013, 07:45 (3878 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

I totally get what you're saying about subtlety, and I'm on record for hating that line in Halo 4, and that's because it connects dots no one needs help connecting.

I think I'm subconciously bringing this up so you'll agree with me. :P

We're getting into sensitive territory here, but it seems that many of BioShock Infinite's critics wanted it to be a different story than it is--specifically, they wanted a morality tale about racism (the evils of white racists in particular). They wanted the dots to be connected in a very specific way. I submit that what makes the game edgy is that racism is presented as something more complicated, as something like a disease that can be spread to its victims. The danger of this presentation is that it runs the risk of removing moral judgment. Booker speaking out is a counter to that.

This is an excellent point. Your argument has lessened my ignorance, sir.

I don't think you're not ignorant at all. The game inspires all kinds of thoughts and discussions, and to me THAT'S why it deserves to lauded.

I'm not saying Levine was 100% successful in what he was trying to do, but racism--its sources and effects--is presented, thoughtfully and with nuance. Much more so than that Daniel Golding article suggests.

I agree. Ragashingo's take down of it was enough for me.

Actually, I was addressing the article that Jillybean originally linked to, but both articles make some of the same points.

Hate to keep teasing, but I've got more to say. It's a rich game.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread