One little tweak... (Gaming)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, August 14, 2013, 17:34 (3899 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto
edited by Kermit, Wednesday, August 14, 2013, 17:45

I wish Infinite's use of the Vox uprising was more like that than what we got. Again, I refer us back to Booker's line in the elevator where we get hit over the head with it Master Chief Halo 4 style. AM I A MACHINE/THE VOX ARE BAD.

I totally get what you're saying about subtlety, and I'm on record for hating that line in Halo 4, and that's because it connects dots no one needs help connecting.

We're getting into sensitive territory here, but it seems that many of BioShock Infinite's critics wanted it to be a different story than it is--specifically, they wanted a morality tale about racism (the evils of white racists in particular). They wanted the dots to be connected in a very specific way. I submit that what makes the game edgy is that racism is presented as something more complicated, as something like a disease that can be spread to its victims. The danger of this presentation is that it runs the risk of removing moral judgment. Booker speaking out is a counter to that.

I'm not saying Levine was 100% successful in what he was trying to do, but racism--its sources and effects--is presented, thoughtfully and with nuance. Much more so than that Daniel Golding article suggests.

I have more to say, of course, but I haven't had dinner yet. :)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread