Let's talk about Bioshock Infinite *long and spoilery baby* (Gaming)

by Schooly D, TSD Gaming Condo, TX, Wednesday, August 07, 2013, 13:58 (3912 days ago) @ Jillybean

This game didn’t appeal to me when it was first being advertised. But it did come highly recommended. It’s often mentioned in the same breath as GotY. And, though let’s not mention this one too loudly, Schooly and Cody both seemed to enjoy it.

My opinion of the game was higher when I had just finished it. I believe this was due to a few factors:
(1) The plot twist was enjoyable
(2) I was glad to be through with it (more on this in a bit)

Looking back, however, I think my original appraisal was inflated. I won't go into any problems with the narrative or plot holes or environment since critiques of those things have been laid out in much more comprehensive fashion than I can do here. But I will say that, when I reflect on what I played, the thing I notice most is the gameplay was mediocre at best. Atmosphere and story aside, it was just another FPS with bullet sponge enemies and a couple of gimmicks (refer back to point 2). That's my biggest takeaway from the experience at this point.

This doesn’t necessarily mean it’s going to be good, I still don’t understand that robot game thingy Schooly plays at LANs

I can tell you exactly why you don't understand Virtual On: Oratorio Tangram, and it all goes back to the fact that you're a female.

FACT: women don't like giant robots because giant robots are the union of two things women also don't like: machinery and war. VO:OT is a game centered around giant robots shooting at each other.

FACT: women don't like fighting. VO:OT is a fighting game. This shouldn't require any more explanation.

FACT: women don't like 1 vs 1 combat because they cannot grasp the concept of manly honor that is internal to men. They cannot appreciate the (b)romantic struggle of a pure contest to see who is the better man. VO:OT is a 1v1 game (the sequel was 2v2 and was so bad it killed the franchise) and completely lacks any hair-pulling moves because (1) such moves would be dis-manly-honorable and (2) they're robots and they don't have hair.

FACT: women love stories and thus hate games with poor or paper-thin stories. VO:OT literally has no story, it's just giant robots fighting each other.

FACT: maid outfits

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread