Man, our culture doesn't get racism... (Gaming)

by davidfuchs ⌂, USA, Thursday, August 15, 2013, 04:50 (3907 days ago) @ Xenos

The part about her thinking the game itself is racist sticks out to me as the common thing many people do which is avoid even the slightest appearance of racism rather than everyone learning to distinguish real racism. Talking about race and talking about individuals is not in itself racist. If a person of any race is a bad person is someone out there going to call that person racist for portraying their race as bad?

That's why I tend to hate political correctness, because it feels like an attempt to paper over our problems rather than confront them. Easier to be safe and never say anything that could possibly be construed as bad, right? The entire blog is full of stuff like this and seeing it come from a white woman does give me that sense of this person being terribly uncomfortable at a personal level.

I know that I've got Indian-killing, slave-owning ancestors in my family tree, and I don't fault them too much for their actions, nor do I feel that guilty about it myself. What matters is what we do in the present to right past wrongs. Overreacting to a video game is focusing on the wrong idea of what the problem is.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread