Article makes a very good point (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, September 27, 2017, 14:11 (2557 days ago) @ Schooly D

The truth is that, while much has been made of Destiny’s fusion of the first-person shooter with the MMO, as an MMO, it’s woefully lacking in meaningful social interaction. Without building this in, the leap they expect you to make comes incongruously. There’s no economy to participate in, no plots to launch against other groups. You can’t help a friend out in a pinch or ruin an enemy’s day ... Its social hubs contain no actual social activity, but rather dozens of sometimes-translucent avatars sprinting about their various errands. ... The game is less a social platform than it is a beautifully designed argument in favor of being antisocial.

What the author is really upset about is that they don't have a crew dedicated enough to raid, and probably don't have that dedication themselves. But it's a great point that if you don't already have a dedicated crew, you're probably not going to build one just by playing Destiny.

However, an individual could always seek a group out. It really isn't that much work. A couple posts on a forum or two.

My issue with these sorts of debates about raiding in Destiny is that it always comes down to those who are complaining saying "I want to experience the raid, but I want to put in literally zero effort and as little time as possible." But as Kermit has been stressing in his posts, raids take effort. That's what makes them different than strikes or patrol or story missions.

Put another way: if someone says to me "I'd like to try the raid, but going to a forum and making a couple posts is too much work" then I know for certain that I DO NOT want to raid with that person. If someone is that unwilling to put in the slightest effort or time, then what are the chances that they'll stick through the frustrations of a raid? Because they ARE frustrating. And that's why it feels so great to beat them. You and your team put in time and effort and overcame frustration and emerged victorious.

Really, I think it just comes down to the fact that raids aren't for everyone, and rather than accept that, some people choose to complain about being "left out".

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread