Non-raiders often seem unable to "get" raiding (Destiny)

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Wednesday, September 27, 2017, 14:13 (2557 days ago) @ Kermit

Bungie has been upfront from the beginning that they are building a social game that rewards commitment. If it were different, the rewards wouldn't be the same and wouldn't mean as much. Friendship is the secret sauce of Destiny. Playing with friends is when the game really hits all cylinders. There are plenty of other games that don't work this way. Bungie invites all because they know that even though it requires more effort than some are used to expending, they know it's worth it because it's a different level of fun. I don't fault them. They're absolutely right. I've never had as much fun playing any video game as I've had raiding in Destiny.

I think I agree that Bungie has been upfront about Destiny being a social game. But I've never seen an advertisement that says you have to be a "committed" player to enjoy it. All of the great moments I've had been in Destiny have been playing with others, but I've never enjoyed anything that requires "commitment". In fact, towards the end of D1 I pretty much didn't care about finishing a raid I started anymore. The rewards weren't worth it. The social experience was.

A great example for me was beating Skolas for the Y1 achievement. I tried several times with people from here and we just weren't able to do it before the time was up for me. So I missed out on that. That was actually the opposite of fun and I spent too much time chasing it instead of having fun. Since then I don't think I've bothered chasing rewards like the yearly achievements. I didn't bother finishing a single one of the books that Bungie provided. I just did the things I enjoyed and I enjoyed the game more.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread