Am I allowed to say this? (Destiny)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, November 07, 2017, 13:20 (2362 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I think the problem of choice is only a problem to the new or the uninformed. In your example you use Pop from the supermarket. If you've never had any in your life, yeah, you'd be overwhelmed with the variety. But if you are familiar with it, the choice doesn't bother you at all; you just go for Vanilla Coke.

Lack of expertise is really the problem in the problem of choice. Because an expert will want choice and variety, and they do not feel anxiety because they know the finer details of each of the choices. Moreover this is a benefit to them, since they can fine tune things to the experience they want to have. People do this with wine all the time, pairing various sweet and dry wines with food based on the palate. And because you don't want to eat the same thing every night, the choice is invigorating. But only if you have the knowledge to make the choice.

You seem to lack expertise about the paradox of choice.

For me, the paradox of choice has been much less of a problem in D2 than in D1. In D1, the main area where it was a problem was weapons, armor, and perks. I was often paralyzed by all the choices involved, and would spend huge chunks of time thinking about it, researching it, and so on. It began feeling like work.

To me, D2 is much less likely to have this problem. I look at the challenges, think about what I have time for/what I feel like doing, and I choose. It's much easier and less stressful than D1 was.

This is probably also helped by the fact that I'm really focusing on one character at a time.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread