That’s a good way to kill most of the player base. (Destiny)

by cheapLEY @, Saturday, March 31, 2018, 19:56 (2373 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by cheapLEY, Saturday, March 31, 2018, 20:02

If you have fun until you stop playing… what's the problem?

How many concurrent players are there on Until Dawn right now? Does that make it a bad game?

Until Dawn doesn’t suffer if you’re literally the only person playing it. Low player counts would actively make Destiny less fun.

Maybe for PvP, but this change wouldn't affect PvP now would it?

How does changing everything about how the weapons in Destiny work not change PvP?

PvE only suffers if you can;t find 5 other people at most.

Have you ever loaded into a patrol zone alone? It happens to me pretty often, and it sucks. Patrols were far more fun around launch when all the zones were full and it was chaotic rather than lonely.

We can argue about whether Destiny would be a better game if it was just a Halo campaign again, but that’s not the game Bungie made. The game they made is designed to be populated, and it’s a worse game when it’s not.

As much as you and others hate it (myself included, pretty often), it’s part of the reason Destiny has and focuses on its investment systems so much, why they’re so important. The fewer players there are, the worse off Destiny is. Random rolls, strike specific gear, things to grind for in general actively contribute to keeping players around. Whether it’s worth the trade off for the average player is a discussion we could have (and we’ve had it a fair number of times).

Like it or not, the community at large has made it orettt clear what they want, and Bungie is seemingly going to cater to them. Destiny will never be the Halo Reach styled game I really want, so the best I can hope for is that they somehow walk a fine line between keeping the hardcore players engaged and letting the casuals get in and back out without hours wasted grinding. I think that’s harder than most seem to think, and I think Destiny 1 after the Taken King was the best they’ve done it so far. I hope they can get back to that point pretty quickly. It sure seems like they’re trying.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread