I’ve got a great Luke Skywalker quote for ya. (Destiny)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, April 04, 2018, 21:31 (2369 days ago) @ Kahzgul
edited by Ragashingo, Wednesday, April 04, 2018, 21:59

It begins with “Amazing...”

There's no dedicated (pvp) servers, so matchmaking is a p2p and vastly flawed as a result

THAB. Dedicated Server Edition. You, yourself, said: “This is really good news, especially for pvp.” Your about face on this point is actually quite spectacular! How do you square away “In any case, this is all good news, and I support it!” with your quote above?

The GOOD way to handle imbalance is to take the lesser performing design and buff it until it's just as desirable as the better performing design.

Josh Hamrick, from the recent “Go Fast” YouTube video:

...and so we, we went back to the board and looked at everything and just said like hey, here are a couple of weapons we feel like are in a really good spot. And by really good spot they’re kinda hot, right? They’re probably too hot for D2. In D1, people would have said, probably correctly, that means we would nerf those things. There are nails that are sticking up out of the board and we would have hammered them back in to be even with the board. Uh, for this update, we did the opposite, we said these things are hot, let’s bring everything else to them. And so we started raising each thing up whether it be in PVE or PVP. We’ve also learned the lesson: don’t sand the coolness down. Leave the jagged spikes of personality in there.

Personally, I think this is a very good description of what this latest update did. My favorite weapon type, the High Impact Pulse Rifles got an 18.8% boost in the Crucible. Many other weapons got buffs. Various jumps got big, noticeable buffs. Multiple Supers got significant buffs as well.

On a recent livestream (I think it was today?) Josh was quoted as saying:

You should absolutely see the average TtK get significantly faster, I don't want to spoil anything as I think you guys(to DeeJ) are going to talk about that over the next couple of weeks but there is some incredible stuff; if you saw the Sturm and Drang video from last week's TWAB, there's a lot of stuff like that that's pretty cool and pretty fast.

So... what you were going on about... you know about Bungie preferring ‘the nail that stands up gets hammered down’ approach? Yeah, “...every word of what you just said was wrong.”

Not literally, of course. Your point about big updates vs more frequent balancing has merit, for instance. You also aren’t entirely wrong about Bungie’s past approach to balancing. But it REALLY feels like you, a player who has moved on, are ranting about things that happened in the past. And that you are at least mildly out of touch with the present. I’m not out to get you or piss you off, but dude, Bungie has recently been saying the opposite and, more importantly, has been doing the opposite of what you claimed in your post. Hell, they even specifically mentioned your hammer down approach in their video as something to avoid!

Govern yourself according.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread