Speaking of The Last of Us . . . (Gaming)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, April 23, 2018, 17:15 (2188 days ago) @ cheapLEY

God of War has basically the exact structure I'd love to see in The Last of Us II. The Last of Us is one of my favorite games, and I'd be totally okay if they stick with just a totally linear design for the sequel.

But I think God of War strikes almost the perfect balance between linear story and and optional open content. You could totally play God of War as a straight shot linear game, and I think it'd still be excellent.

I really would love to see The Last of Us do God of War styled optional side areas--I want to delve more into that world and lore. Maybe it doesn't work as well in a more "real" setting like The Last of Us. There's definitely something to be said for the different realms and all the mythological stuff really making it work well in God of War.

Funny thing is that TLoU has an area like that. It’s in Bill’s town, where you see a door somewhat off to the side where an infected got locked in. There’s no need to go over there, but if you go in, and head upstairs, you find an old note left behind for someone. Ellie comments on that note, and you get a moment between the two personalities (plus, it confirms that Ellie has a hopeless romantic in there somewhere beneath her tough-girl exterior).

I dunno, Maybe the closest we’ll get to a game like this is in Days Gone.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread