@Blue ..if only I could (DBO)

by Dame117 @, Missouri, Sunday, April 29, 2018, 16:44 (2182 days ago) @ bluerunner

I'm planning on doing a 30 mile backcountry hike in a few weeks that will go up and over Clingmans, so feel free to tag along for that. :)

Word of advice; If you want Kermit to come, don't plan it on the same weekend as a Bruce Springsteen concert.

Sounds like it'll be a nice trek. Sadly I don't think I could keep up. I am still in my 30's but have multiple back issues / injuries... and now have additional problems that are similar to having osteoperosis only its induced by medication I have to take rather than happening naturally with age. The *me* behind the Xbox that you all don't see is in quite a lot of pain most days. But I am stubborn and still try to have as many outdoor adventures as I can without putting myself in the hospital from severe pain :)

I think the longest and most grueling backpacking stint I did (many years ago now) was hiking to the peak of Mt San Jacinto from a town called Idyllwild in Southern California (where I grew up). Its approx. 20 miles and has over 5,000 feet elevation gain from start of the hike to the peak - the peak is at 10,830. The first time I did that trip I made the rookie mistake of buying new hiking shoes right before the trip (so they had NOT been worn in yet). I had horrendous blisters by the time we were only half way to the summit! But I was determined to make it. I did. But once I took my shoes off that was it.. could not get them back on, not even the next day (we camped on the mountain a couple nights) because my feet were so swollen. Anyhow, it was still awesome and fulfilling and one of my most treasured memories :)

The hike you took the others on was only a half mile? but very steep and a more wild rather than maintained trail I take it? I wonder if I could do it if I started early morning so I could take as many breaks as needed... hmmm

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread