It's a live game with strong MMO-leanings. (Destiny)

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, September 16, 2018, 15:25 (2020 days ago) @ Harmanimus

The Light is Paracausal. The Guardian operates outside of linear time either Causal or Acausal (Forward and Reverse time) and the level at whih that has reality warping effects has not been fully explored. I think suggesting it doesn’t make mechanical sense is an undersell. It’s complex and not necessarily intuitive (Paracausality isn’t) but that doesn’t make it bad.

No, the fact that it's an overly complicated hand-wavy way to make the story and the mechanics "make sense" is what makes it bad. It's them half-assing their way out of the corner they put themselves into in the first place.

Maybe if they had been telling that story from the start I would feel different. But instead we are all experiencing the same story from different sets of eyes. We’ve never been playing with millions of Guardians in the world. That suddenly changing now is silly.

I think the first paragraphed you just typed in this post is silly. We see every other Guardian out in the world, doing the same things we're doing, and they're all just paracausal entities that are actually still us and no one in the game has anything to say about that? That's ridiculous.

We have been playing with millions of Guardians out in the world, literally. We see it every time we log on and go to a Destination with other Guardians running around. To ignore that feels foolish to me.

It's clear we'll never see eye to eye on this--it's just more proof that Bungie has a basically impossible task. No matter what they do, someone will end up disappointed.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread