It's a live game with strong MMO-leanings. (Destiny)

by Harmanimus @, Tuesday, September 18, 2018, 17:43 (2041 days ago) @ Ragashingo

While I’ll accept a “storytelling failure” as the easy answer from a creator perspective, I think that given the story and lore as presented through Destiny that it is much more of a stretch to suggest that all Guardians are unique. A throwaway line from Shaxx that he’s not sure if you killed Oryx is a lot easier to dismiss than the suggestion that the current pool of guardians defending the last city (1.3m players yesterday by Destiny Tracker) exceeds the current active forces of the United States (1.28m) as of the end of last year.

The assumption that we are all the same paracausal entity has less in universe conflicts than there being 1.3-3.9m active guardians in the world. And there is already an established precedent for people working with other versions of themselves - whether or not by Vex time experiments doesn’t matter when the paracausal nature of Light already exceeds the Vex.

While I won’t get i to an argument that might conclusion is or is not supported by Lore, to the same effect I cannot accept a conclusion that all player guardians are somehow unique because it is equally or less supported by the Lore.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread