It's a live game with strong MMO-leanings. (Destiny)

by EffortlessFury @, Sunday, September 16, 2018, 16:49 (2020 days ago) @ cheapLEY

No, I’m literally saying that we are all playing he same Guardian. The VoG Vex time stuff doesn’t even apply to that implication. It’s much farther reaching consequences.

Is that thought backed by known lore? Or is it a theory you have?

FWIW, I don’t know much if the lore around the VoG. Is it canon that our fire team went in and ended Atheon for good? I just feel like it’s really easy to chalk that particular raid up to “Vex time shit,” which can fit nicely with every fireteam still tackling that raid.

I'm referring to the first half of your post. What leads you to believe that we are all playing the same Guardian? This is the first time I'm hearing this perspective so I'm curious as to where it originated.

I didn't say that--Harmanimus did. I just replied to you to continue the discussion and make it clear that he could be totally right, and that my explanation for why we can all do the Vault of Glass is more just headcannon and an easy explanation for why it makes sense from both a story and gameplay mechanics perspective.

As for what lead hims to believe we're all the same Guardian . . . that is how Destiny sort of presents itself. Did you kill whatever was at the heart of the Black Garden? Did you kill Crota and Oryx? Took out Ghaul? Woke up the Traveler?

What do you know, I also did all of those things! How can that be? We're the same person. It's always been a weird disconnect between the story and the mechanical aspect of the game, and it probably always will be. I just chalk up to what it is though--the difficulty of telling an actual story where millions of people get to be the "hero" at the center. I think the game reacting to something like the first raid completion starts to address that issue in a cool way, though.

Oh, sorry, didn't notice.

I've always chalked that bit up to Bungie not knowing exactly how to handle it. This decision is probably their most overt attempt at establishing a "way to do it." I am personally fine with it and too find it neat.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread