Meh (Off-Topic)

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Friday, October 04, 2013, 12:57 (3856 days ago) @ Cody Miller

And you'll probably think it's bad because you're not seeing it the way it has to be seen.

If 3D is so required, hopefully the filmmakers wont let it be released any other way.

I just want you to be fully aware that you are bringing that on yourself, and it's your fault and not the film makers'.

...I wonder if the director intended for the eight people in front of me to be texting and tweeting during the movie? Did the director intend for the old couple behind me to be wheezing and making noises with a candy wrapper the whole time? Did the director intend for the movie to be slightly out of focus? Was I supposed to hear what happened to Janine at work yesterday from the couple next to me?

I find it very, very rare to have theater screenings actually representative of what the filmmaker imagined. My girlfriend, a projectionist, finds it even harder. But since the ingredients for a quality home theater these days are somewhat affordable, I find that's by the far the closest you can get to focused, immersive, and meditative viewing.

So then in this particular circumstance, the question is: if you don't have 3D capability in your home, is it worth risking all those other distractions and faults with the theater experienced as mentioned above to experience it that way? For me, it is usually not worth it.

I would love for more filmmakers to be more focused on delivering the optimum format for home release, the best transfers, etc., especially since that's the only way their movie lives on in time.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread