Yeah, infinite free DLC is just the worst. (Destiny)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Saturday, October 26, 2013, 08:08 (3838 days ago) @ petetheduck

You're complaining about something that is not exclusive to Forge as if it were. The first time you play ANY map--on-disc, DLC, or Forge--you must learn the map.

Well, yes. But I can learn the base maps over time. Forge maps rotate in an out meaning that there's always a new one I don't know.

So you want to pay money for a handful of finite maps because you think they're prettier?

Sure. I enjoy the artistry that goes into "real" maps. The additional detail also help with a sense of place in a map.

Forge is the superior way to deliver new content to players. You don't have to worry about all the things associated with DLC, like adoption rates. Not getting to play that DLC much in matchmaking because the matchmaking system isn't finding other players that have also purchased that DLC? Not a problem with Forge.

I agree to an extent. Forge is nice because it lets everyone play new maps, but I look at it the other way. I think the way people can always play the included maps and Forge maps as what should be the baseline and see the DLC adoption problems as being a failure of the current DLC practices. And looking at it from another perspective, I wonder how the map designers feel about putting a ton of work into maps that will rarely get played. So sure, having Forge helps with the map variety problem, but I'd still rather the DLC adoption issue be fixed rather than using Forge as a stopgap.

The tool can be improved, but in my opinion, Forge is the single most important element in the longevity of Halo. Infinite free DLC. It should be getting much more dev focus than it has in the past, which would address your petty concern about visuals.

I'm not sure I agree about it being the most important element since I would rather play a "real" map every single time. That said, you are right about the advantages of doing an end run around stupid DLC policies.

I was saying this back in Halo: Reach, that sometimes I just want to play on-disc maps, so I can definitely appreciate this comment. Better playlist management is the key to this particular gripe, not removing Forge as a feature.

I don't think Forge maps should be in every single playlist.

Agreed.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread