Yeah, infinite free DLC is just the worst. (Destiny)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Saturday, October 26, 2013, 18:06 (3837 days ago) @ petetheduck

Go look at this map and then tell me again how Forge maps look like crap, have no artistry, attention to detail, etc:

Weathered

The sand is a neat trick, I had to watch the video to see how they did it, but at the end of the day it doesn't really address either of my main problems with Forge maps:

1. It is still made up of generic, repetitive pieces. If I had to choose between that Forged version of Weathered or a hypothetical fully modeled one with real sand, its own skybox, and uniquely modeled buildings complete with custom decals and what not I would choose the fully modeled one every time. I'm not being flippant or trolling when I say it is something of a deal breaker to me. When I see a fully modeled map and two Forged maps come up on the voting screen, even if I know the two maps very well, my tendency is to vote for the fully modeled one because it is prettier and more detailed.

2. If I came across this map in game I would be crushed because I don't know where anything is. Yes, this is true of all new maps, but new fully modeled maps are rare while new Forged maps are not. I can also much more easily load up a new DLC map and run through it by myself, though I don't think I should have to. My solution to this problem, giving players some sort of quick pregame overview of a map would apply to fully modeled and Forged maps equally.

Keep in mind I'm not saying that Forged maps don't have a lot of effort, time, and skill poured into them, because they do, I just prefer fully modeled maps to them, and I don't think that is wrong at all.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread