Sure! It's not all roses though. (Gaming)

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, May 13, 2020, 19:45 (1437 days ago) @ Kermit
edited by INSANEdrive, Wednesday, May 13, 2020, 19:56

So, first I should note, that in all likely hood this generation may very well be the end of what we know as consoles in the home. It will probably require an internet connection, much like Destiny does. It was always going to be this way, somehow. The CLOUD! The CLOUD! The CLOUD! Stadia is only the beginning. Google gets to say they were first, I guess. Cool story Google.

That said, hardware still matters. They are pushing BILLIONS of Triangles!? Unless they have something fancy prepared in the compression, I hope y'all are ready to see games that are multiples of terabytes. 20 TB? 50 TB? Like, I know some of you remember when a Megabyte was all... OMG so MUCH DATA! Well, Welcome to the Future... IF someone wants to push it that hard. Remember, this is a tech demo. I'm SURE there is some kerfuffle that makes this less seamless then one may imagine. STILL a game changer, but this is reality. We still have to survive 2020, so on so on. In all likely hood, what we'll see is models that have ACTUAL bevels, instead of faked ones. So on so on, many moving parts, and I can feel my self starting to babble... moving on.

Based on what I've read (which is jargony), this is possible now is because the computation power of modern GPUs, the speed of next generation SSD architectures and NVMe Memory (though I should note that the PS5 apparently has specialized I/O hardware to get around some bottle necks). There is so much data being pushed through the pipes, and I can only imagine how much heat there is being generated. Possibly. Maybe.

At this point though, I am at the limit of my jargony knowhow. I'm going to drop some tweets here, for fun, and move along. Interesting stuff awaits.

Edit: ....Ohhhh! They're encoding geometry data into textures! Fascinating...

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread