Architecture. (Gaming)

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, May 14, 2020, 14:23 (1414 days ago) @ Cody Miller

To address the space issue:

Will we finally see the ability to install only the content we want? The new Modern Warfare is like 175 gigs now. Why can’t I delete the campaign if I no longer want it?

Impossible to say. Even if I was the guy making such systems for the future, I'm pretty sure that would be NDA. It all depends how heavily the cloud is being used, and the architecture (which is the key word in my mind) for all this technical wizardry. Unless such a system is absolutely required, it's up to those who make. Developer to developer.

At this point, instinct has me say to not count on it brother, and let yourself be pleasantly surprised.

Look at the switch. This isn't a problem because the games come on speedy cards. There's no installing. I see 120GB SSDs going for 20 bucks these days. Imagine next next generation if instead of inserting a card you insert the game on its own little SSD. No need to install because it's already reading off fast media. Someday when SSD tech gets even cheaper, this would be the dream option.

There is a constant battle over the ages of Internet speed vs media storage. Technically shipping media storage in bulk is still faster :D But it's not practical

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread