Architecture. (Gaming)

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Monday, May 18, 2020, 11:02 (1411 days ago) @ Cody Miller

You say physical media requires zero support and then list off a bunch support products. Yes, I understand that is to play it with modern software and hardware, which to me is the same thing as rebuying after the game as been modernized.

It's not the same at all. In my example with Indy, I could play it on a modern systems for ZERO DOLLARS. You can avoid having to buy it again, because you already have the game on a disc that SCUMMVM can read.

Are we arguing support? maintaining something? Just because it's free doesn't mean it's isn't supported by someone. SCUMMVM is supported by someone, just because they are giving it to you for free doesn't mean it's not taking work by someone for you to keep playing older games.

I agree that you could feasibly keep the hardware and the game media in a frozen state from basically any era. But you again have to make sure that hardware and media in that state. That to me is support. And honestly if this is what you are arguing then I guess I'm just done with this conversation because there is a reason this isn't a thing, because a very small percentage of people are willing to do this for the cost of reliving an old game.

Then they are free to buy digital and have to buy their games again and again.

Yep.

A vast majority of people would much rather rebuy it for the 5 bucks than to keep an OS in state from 10 years ago. That is your choice to do, but you can't say that that should be status quo because the majority of people (it would actually have to be more) would prefer to do that.

I don't think you are quite understanding the point. You don't have to maintain an old OS state. My Fate of Atlantis CD runs under OS 9. SCUMMVM runs on anything. So, you put the CD in your modern OS of choice, and it can read and run the game. The last time I booted into OS 9 was to show Claude DBO and HBO didn't work on Netscape Navigator, but before that it was a decade and a half at least.

So SCUMMVM works on Xbox? Playstation? iPhone? Because those are also devices that use my method. Hardware that is constantly being upgraded to be better machines to play better games. That if people want to play older games for longer either have to be updated or are just backwards compatible.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread