Sure! It's not all roses though. (Gaming)

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, May 14, 2020, 08:03 (1441 days ago) @ cheapLEY

To address the space issue:

Will we finally see the ability to install only the content we want? The new Modern Warfare is like 175 gigs now. Why can’t I delete the campaign if I no longer want it?

I mean, the short answer from a software engineers perspective is that there is a lot of integration that we just don't know about. There is a lot of code that is being used. If we are talking about pure graphical assets like textures, boxes, whatever they use in the levels but never used anywhere else? Possible. But again there would have to be a fair amount of work to "physically" separate that from the rest of the game. That also just adds another level of bugs that could crop up.

Maybe when games become this big down the line that might be worth the effort. Especially if it's built this way from the ground up. You also have to say these things are being used for the campaign only and can't be used for anything else because if the user decides to not download them they won't be available. And that's only if the campaign is one of the things that you can choose not to download. If there are multiple sections of a game... man that would get complicated. I'm not saying it can't be done, but there would have to be a pretty clear plan to do that on top of you know, making a game worth playing :D

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread