Allow me to translate (Gaming)

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, July 07, 2020, 02:15 (1379 days ago) @ Cody Miller

If the game was as fun as possible, nobody would want to pay money to avoid playing it to get the cosmetics.

This is the sentence that shows that your understanding of humanity is sorely lacking.

1. Pay money to get something
2. Pay nothing to get something and have a good time doing it

Gee I wonder what people would pick. That's why every single friction introduced is either annoying or unpleasant. Point to a design decision in any game that entices you to buy a microtransaction, that is wonderful and pleasant in its effects. I'd be surprised if you were able to.

Let's start at the beginning. "as fun as possible" - what does this mean? Exactly? Is there an absolute fun scale? Is your fun scale the same as my fun scale? How about the other 7.5 billion people on this planet - do any of us have the same fun scale? (Hint: no.)

So to begin with, your sentence begins with a completely indefinable premise.

Move on to the second part, though. "nobody would want to pay money to avoid playing it to get the cosmetics." We've had this conversation, many times. You're wrong. There are lots of people, for lots of reasons, who might choose to pay money instead of playing a game - even a game they enjoy playing! We all make value judgements on a regular basis, and sometimes, the same comparison comes up differently for one single person! Sometimes you want chocolate, sometimes you want vanilla!

If you see the world in this simplistic, black-and-white "either you like this thing or you don't" way... you don't understand people at all.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread