Allow me to translate (Gaming)

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Tuesday, July 07, 2020, 10:12 (1388 days ago) @ Cody Miller

What if you have a game that is 80% fighting and 20% exploring, and you can only get those cosmetics by exploring? Just so you know, I'm using any sort of percentage, it doesn't matter. Generally speaking not everyone loves a game 100% and thus, as Claude said, we are all different people. So if I hate the percentage of a game that I need to play to get that thing I wanted, that would indeed be a grind. Is that bad development? No, because you might be a small percentage of the community how hates that part of the game, but absolutely love the rest.

I'll grant you this, but we used to have a free solution. Cheat codes. Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right B A Start. All extras unlocked. Plus, no developer would take the time and money to implement those microtransactions unless they believed enough people would buy them, which is a tacit admission enough people would find the elements of the game they'd pay to skip unfun. Not good faith.

Cosmetics take time and money to implement. Skipping levels or sections does not, or I guess I should say far less. Also, I don't think I've ever seen a non-mobile game ever have an ability to skip any part of a game for money. The exception would be things that were intentionally added, like in Warframe you craft things which take time, you can make it done instantly if you pay. But I've already said that is not good MTs.

I might add, that you can't exactly compare a game that was made 20 years ago to a modern game. They are different beasts that take way more people and money. Cheat codes aren't used in modern games and if they are it is for nostalgic purposes.

Now that I think about this, this is very similar to tipping people. I get to choose if I valued the experience and it's up to me to give, or not give, the amount I deem they deserve. If I go to a place that auto tips, I feel like I'm deprived the ability to choose how I felt the service went. Same would go for paying $60 (or $70) for a game that I really thought was worth $30.

Tipping is always above the base price.

Yes. We are literally talking about games going from 60 to 70 base price. If I buy a meal that is 60 bucks but they charge a mandatory 10 dollar tip vs my choosing to tip an extra 10 dollars based on service, I see that no different than paying a base 70 dollars for a game (60 plus forced 10 tip) vs base 60 for a game plus MTs that I choose to pay for.

I was just using free games as an example.

If you looked at the menu and say the food was too much, you simply wouldn't go in at all. So wait until the 60 dollar game is 30 dollars in 5 months.

I value an establishment way more than just what is on their menu. What if I want a burger and go into a restaurant that has a reasonably priced one only to find it takes like crap? I can't simply decide that based on a menu. Same for a game, I can't simply read about it or see a trailer to define whether it's a good game. That is why I like the idea of MTs. It allows you to play the game and give the company more money or things like Game pass where you pay a subscription. There are very few games that I know I will like and even those I'm not 100% sure. So in reality, I'm taking my chances when buy a game. I can never assume a game is just good and fork out $70.

Also tipping is really stupid as a concept and should go away.

I agree with this in a perfect world. But hey, we don't live in one of those which is why we have tipping.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread