Allow me to translate (Gaming)

by Claude Errera @, Wednesday, July 08, 2020, 13:28 (1388 days ago) @ Cody Miller

If I could buy everything I wanted to, because Bright Dust fell like rain (or even more to your liking, everything was free), I wouldn't care about ANY of it. They could make thousands of ornaments... and I'd ignore them all. Total waste of their dev time, total waste of an opportunity to engage me.

FRICTION MAKES ME CARE. I'm totally good with friction frustrating you. What I've been trying to make you see, for years now, is that NOT ALL OF US THINK LIKE YOU.

There are other ways of making you care. Like say, tying it to an accomplishment of skill or knowledge building. Frictions have to be the worst possible way to make you care about things.

There are other ways of almost everything under the sun. Doesn't make the one they picked bad (or even worse than whatever vague thing you just suggested).

Do you go to shitty movie theaters because the friction will make you care more?

I don't even know what this means.

Do you hire a slimy auto mechanic so that you have to check and fight his every attempt to scam you?

Nope.

I'll bet you'd really care a ton about your car then after going through that!

You'd lose that bet. Also, way to completely miss the point.

You might as well take a job that pays you minimum wage, because when a game costs a day's wage you'll sure care about it more!

Way to go out on a 50-foot limb for that strawman!

But at the end of the day, if you wouldn't care about it if it's free, then it just means the thing has no intrinsic value.

Also wrong.

You're just full of wrong today.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread