Luke On Sunsetting (Destiny)

by squidnh3, Thursday, December 17, 2020, 09:13 (1223 days ago)

On Polygon

I found this article somewhat ironic. One of the reasons he gives in favor of sunsetting is that currently, speaking of getting new weapons:

"'...Then stashed it and never fired a shot,' said Smith. It’s a relatable problem, and something that those of us at Polygon who play Destiny have experienced. 'I want to want a better thing,' said Smith."

It's unclear to me how sunsetting solves this problem. I have had a number of Moon weapons from the Shadowkeep expansion sitting in my vault, waiting for a chance they might actually be good someday. Now that they have been sunset, this will never happen. I have also had a Thin Line 120 energy handcannon from Forsaken for quite a while. It's now quite good with the recent changes to hand cannons, but too bad there are no non-sunset 120 energy hand cannons to replace it with.

Then, speaking of the reactions of players to avoid items due to be sunset soon:

"...Smith used shopping for milk as an example. When you go to buy milk at your local store, you always look for the latest expiration date you can. It doesn’t matter if you’re going to drink the entire gallon when you get home; you’ll almost always pick an expiration date 10 days away over one that’s nine days away."

Yes, this is true. People do this because it sucks when milk goes sour.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread