Luke On Sunsetting (Destiny)

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Thursday, December 17, 2020, 16:49 (1222 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Literally all of the organizational ideas you've expressed in this post are available in DIM. You can tag items, you can organize items by use, you can mark items for infusion only.

"Oh, but that's not in the game!" Well, Bungie built the API specifically because they knew that the community has some pretty fantastic coders in it - and personally, I think my computer is a BETTER place to do any of that organization/sorting than my Xbox, anyway.

Regardless of whether you agree with me or not, the tools are there, and yet lots of us still feel overwhelmed. Organization doesn't solve the problems you think it solves, and it doesn't make sunsetting any easier.

Which is EXACTLY WHY I made that distinction of "IN THE GAME". Organization works best as you get it. I should not have to use third party stuff to play the game. That is a failure of core maniacs for, as I say it again, the game with a core mechanic of "loot". I know in the moment why I put something away, and shouldn't have to jump around different screens to do what I need to do. It should not feel like work. The best way to do that is in game.

If you disagree with that, than please bring better ideas. This may help, here is a question I've not seen asked (and even alluded to in my post); do exotic weapons suffer from the same issue? Why or why not?

(Also, your flippant "solution" to the Mountaintop-type problem makes me roll my eyes harder than anything Luke Smith has EVER said. But maybe that's just me.)

Sorry you found what would work to be flippant and worthy of rolling your eyes. What do you see that challenges the effectiveness? Is it not why at minimum Bungie goes and disables things when there is an issue? It WORKS! There would be less issue then sunsettings continual muck. Yes, some folks would be peeved on all the effort made towards the weapon would suddenly be for not, as we've seen with sunsetting ad nauseam, hence the "bright dust" or something to that effect.

Sometimes we screw up. Bungie is comprised of humans. It happens. You go out, say ya screwed up, make amends and move on. Shoot! They could even add what they learned in the process so the community can talk about it with some substance should some of us want to. In Sunsetting, ya can't really do that I think. If I'm proven wrong, GREAT! I hope so. But I do not currently think so.

I don't agree with everything Luke says, but I think he thinks pretty long and hard about how Destiny works, and for the most part, I find his solutions to be well above the bottom of the barrel, when looking around at what others are suggesting. Sunsetting sucks, but I don't know what would make it better. I haven't heard any suggestions from the community that solve the problems BUNGIE needs to solve - just saying "hey, don't do this thing we don't want you to do" doesn't really help anything. They're doing it because they feel they have to, and nobody, so far, has provided an alternative that works for them. I don't like that, but I don't think they're smoking dope when they're planning.

If they are planning. I know I know. But, published actions speak louder!

There shouldn't have been an issue with the amount of loot in game once Sunsetting hit, that should have been planned for. There shouldn't have been weapons that drop -NOW- at the capped sunset, and thus unusable for pinnacle activities. That should have been planned for.

It wasn't. It's in the game. And if it was planned for, then this is a failure of communication too.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread