Luke On Sunsetting (Destiny)

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Thursday, December 17, 2020, 14:50 (1218 days ago) @ squidnh3
edited by INSANEdrive, Thursday, December 17, 2020, 15:04

.>_< ... *Sigh*...

How is it that anytime Luke says something out in public, I find myself... rolling my eyes in bewilderment at something. Luke is the Game Director, and a former editor of 1UP. Yet for the life of me, to what I can see, I have not the slightest idea why he has that titled distinction. He only seems to do, for what I can see, half the job well. It's... odd. He seems to be an EXCELLENT manager, which I admit is a VERY important. The "high-level decisions about schedule, budget, and interaction with publishers" part. Said and done, the Beyond Light launch in this 2020 was VERY well done. Yet when he utters something about the design of the game, the "look and feel", then its by a generous 60/40 rolling odds where my eyes shall be rolling too. Can any one who reads some of Lukes design explanations prove that Luke didn't light a huge doobie before approving them? All we seem to get are surface level explanations. The sun is hot. Water freezes when cold. Folks keep guns in their vault an then they will never use them again. Milk goes bad. Sunsetting still is bullshit.

Simple.

“Like, how many times have you, in Destiny, went out, worked really hard to get a gun. Got it? Been like ‘Cool, I have it.’ Then stashed it and never fired a shot”

Yeah? But... why? I know why for ME, I've only been yammering/ranting/bitching about it for years now (THIS IS A LOOT GAME WITH PISS POOR IN-GAME ORGANIZATIONAL ABILITY!!! GAAA!). Folks have a hard enough time figuring out 32 flavors, so what in the world makes Bungie think we're going to know what to do with X00 number of legendary guns that we have in Destiny 2? Why did I keep this? Is this for PvP or PvE? What in this gun makes it worth using over something else? I don't have this problem for exotics, which in their perks designates an exact purpose for each. Plus I can pull out of collections at any time (which is SO AWESOME might I add).

But oh no... lets just light up that Mary Jane and POOF!

But Smith spoke to the other side of Infusion Capping as well. “We’re certainly looking at the behaviors that I think infusion caps create,” said Smith. Smith has noticed a new problem creeping into the minds of players: abandoning weapons months before they leave viability.

Here’s how it plays out: players will delete some of their favorite weapons a full season ahead of its Sunset date, because if they can’t use it in three months, why use it now? It may not be rational, but it’s an idea I’ve personally seen friends and Clan members express numerous times over the past six months.

To explain this phenomenon, Smith used shopping for milk as an example. When you go to buy milk at your local store, you always look for the latest expiration date you can. It doesn’t matter if you’re going to drink the entire gallon when you get home; you’ll almost always pick an expiration date 10 days away over one that’s nine days away.

Woah man... milk goes bad man... waa. Waf if. What if... guns went bad like milk? Woah!

I know I know, he's describing a new problem, and is making it simpler to describe with a metaphor. Fine. But I'm sitting here asking about the root issue, where I must ask why this problem exists in the first place? Why are they doubling down on something that JUST MAKES MORE PROBLEMS! THERE IS YOUR SIGN FOLKS!

Again... if I could ORGANIZE my stuff; This is for... add clear or DPS or I love the feel of use or... something else, that would help with keeping things and removing things. Why did I keep this? Oh... I kept this for infusion alone. Well I shard it then. All they had to do, IN A LOOT GAME, was make it so that we could organize our stuff and well. IT SOLVES SO MUCH! Shoot! Give me the simple ability to add some tool tip text! Something!

Oh! But what about problem children like Mountain Top? Remove them. Say hey, this wasn't balanced right. It's out. Here's some bright dust or cores or whatever something something for the trouble. And boom, no problem. Simple.

You can pay me the big bucks now.

What I really wish this article was about, what I would LOVE to hear talked about instead is WHY Bungie thinks folks are playing as they play, but... I suppose that would require some competence in asking the right questions first. After all, here we are. In Sunsetting (recent rant) and all the joys of its active implantation it has brought. And apparently no one freek'n asked, or was listened to.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread