Bungie's reveal: a disservice to Destiny

by Claude Errera @, Monday, February 18, 2013, 15:58 (4085 days ago) @ kapowaz

Not sure if you were here in the really early days of Halo - but this is how Bungie operates. We knew almost nothing - and in fact, by the time it actually launched, what we DID know in those early days was all wrong.

Not sure why this is doing the game a disservice - it's absolutely the first time they've talked about it, but it won't be the last. Activision's press release made it clear that launch almost certainly won't be this year... so you have plenty of time to get more information and learn new things, and change your perspective.

If you're going with the assertion that first impressions are everything... well, Bungie has ALWAYS disagreed with that. Like it, hate it, that's their opinion, and they're as entitled to it as you are to yours. (Personally, I'd say they've done reasonably well for themselves over the years - enough for me to cut them some slack at this stage.)

Six months ago, people screamed that the leaked contract proved that Destiny would be a subscription-based MMO, and that they were walking away and not coming back. Bungie kept their mouths shut, and let that rumor fester.

It got blown out of the water on Wednesday - and for folks who are actually paying attention, just that little fact should be enough to make them think twice about assumptions and what it means when they're not refuted by the company.

So what if people are making wild assertions based on nothing? It's the internet - that's how it works! I guarantee you that by the time the game launches, you'll have enough information to make the decision for yourself whether it's a buy or not. Until then... have fun. Speculate. Peoplewatch. Eat popcorn.

Enjoy the circus. :)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread