Bungie's reveal: a disservice to Destiny

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Monday, February 18, 2013, 23:04 (4056 days ago) @ Ragashingo

So you're of the opinion that this whole reveal was in direct response to the leaks? Not part of the planned marketing campaign?

It's difficult to say.

I'm sure some people would point to the day and date as evidence of pre-planning, but the thing about those kind of coincidences is that you can arrange one however you'd like. I'm sure Bungie can plan a seven reference around any time period they'd choose. I certainly think that a reveal was planned at some point, and the material we got was planned to be part of it. I think the idea that the reveal was mostly story background and concept art is consistent with the idea that it was moved up earlier than planned, either in response to the leaks, in response to the idea that the release window is being delayed from Fall 2013 to early 2014-- to try and avoid too long a dark/quiet period.

The contracts leaked, and Bungie said nothing. Some concept art leaked, and Bungie released... one piece of concept art.

The announcement could be in response to a lot of things, the leak is just one of them. Activision certainly would like to see some enthusiasm built up, even if Bungie would prefer (and I'm not saying they would) to say nothing until release day.

The level of second-guessing that seems to go on around product announcement just strikes me as very weird. You should have said more! You should have said nothing! Your game is all hype and no substance! No PC release means... actually I don't know what significance whatsoever that is supposed to have, except the idea of there not being one really pisses some people off.

Even with relatively little information out there it's tough for Bungie to get the press to stay on message. I have seen in gaming press articles since Sunday:

Destiny is an MMO.

Destiny is not an MMO.

Destiny will have microtransactions.

Destiny will not have microtransactions.

Destiny will come out this year, probably.

Destiny will not come out this year, probably.

Destiny will come out on current gen consoles

Destiny will come out on next-gen consoles.

Destiny will come out on current and next-gen consoles, but not on PC.

Destiny will come out on PC, but not until later.

I find the idea that a reveal needs to be equal to the game a bit backwards. The game needs to equal the reveal.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread