Bungie's reveal: a disservice to Destiny

by Ibeechu ⌂ @, Portland, OR, Tuesday, February 19, 2013, 00:17 (4055 days ago) @ kapowaz

I haven't yet read every new DBO post since Destiny was announced, but I've read a few. Kapow's post above is pretty much how I'm feeling. The nebulous information is cute for a while, but at this point I just have literally no idea what Destiny is. And that makes it hard for me to be excited about it. In fact, pre-announcement, I was so psyched. Now, post-announcement, I'm just left bemused. Somehow I know less about Destiny now than I did before.

Hey, Bungie has never disappointed me when I've had my doubts (except for Reach's story; let's be honest). So I'm not just cautiously optimistic. I'm extremely optimistic. But only because I know Bungie's track record. I can easily imagine that if I were just a fair-weather fan, I'd be completely turned off by the underwhelming announcement.

As to Levi's point. I don't think I'm owed anything by Bungie. As far as I'm concerned, they could keep Destiny a complete secret until launch day, and I'd still play it. But when they build hype, even starting from the 10th anniversary ViDoc, up until the ARG and DeeJ's official announcement of the announcement, naturally I feel let down if it doesn't pay off. This has always been my problem with Bungie's PR (tradition be damned). It's one thing to release tiny details slowly. It's another to say "We have some really juicy details coming soon©™®!" And then, months later, we get an very small tease of something... that's just annoying. It's not an interesting or effective way to build hype imho. Imagine if Willy Wonka had announced he was going to open his factory up to 5 lucky kids, and when the day came, he gave them a grand tour of the parking lot.

You know I'll still love you forever and like you for always, Bungie. But come on.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread