Hypothetical - Guardian Trainer (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, June 23, 2014, 15:20 (3600 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I think maybe the core of your problem is you have correctly identified a fundamental fact of game development, that games take longer to make than to play, but instead of trying to find a balanced solution to the problem (like strong core gameplay with some repetition and level / upgrade gating) you skip directly to a position of no compromises ever. Would I prefer for Bungie to make me 10 years worth of engaging, unique, creative content? Yes. Is such a thing possible? No.

But what about instead making 30 hours of content that is absolutely concentrated with fun? There's nothing wrong with that!

I'm a big supporter of making games as short as they can be. Basically, you should try to concentrate the experience as much as possible and always be giving the player interesting things to do. You should cut out all the redundancies, filler, and boring parts.

Vanquish doesn't take very long to beat, but every second is jam packed with excitement, challenge, and novelty. To me, that's better than a 15 hour game that strings things out for the purpose of length.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread