Did a JRPG pour sugar in your gas tank? (Destiny)

by SonofMacPhisto @, Wednesday, June 25, 2014, 09:45 (3598 days ago) @ Malagate

Wait, whaaaaaat? How did the "investment system", if you want to call it that, detract from your enjoyment of the game? Reach is easily my favorite Halo experience, maybe tied with ODST (though for very different reasons). Really curious as to what turned you off about it.

My first couple times through the campaign were really great, Firefight was a blast, and the multiplayer was even fun for a time. Thing is, I played it WAY past its (personal) expiration date, and that was directly tied to the investment system. I just needed that superficial piece of gear with literally no real impact on anything and sunk WAY too much time doing something I no longer enjoyed to get it.

Plus, the game lacked a depth of heart, so that just compounded it.

When I realized all this, there was great RAGE, and I really haven't gotten over it yet. Part of it was my own immaturity and inabilty to get away from it (which is funny, cause Mass Effect 3 came along, and I enjoyed that WAY more than Reach because the core game was SO FUN in SPITE of the investment system so it was basically a revenge fuck towards Reach). Maybe someday I'll toss Reach back in and give it another go, but I wouldn't hold any breath over it.

And hnnnnng. ODST. Just so perfect.

Megaman has always allowed you to beat the levels in any order, but there's a place in the Chain of Weaknesses each boss takes up. Every game has been an exercise in finding where to jump into that chain to use the earned weapons against the next boss.

Thank you for clarifying.

And yes, it seems what grinding there will be will be "enforced", for lack of a better term, by placing high-level enemies in certain areas. Can't say I have much of an issue with this.

Yeah, really gotta play the thing to find out I think.

I still don't understand what everyone is on about; saying investment systems ruin things. They can, certainly. But not by default. They are not an objective evil.

~m

Amen to this.

EDIT: I mean jeeze you could Civ 5 is a giant investment system but each game can have such a great payoff and tension. It's compelling nature is what gets you I think.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread