Compromise (Destiny)

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Wednesday, June 25, 2014, 15:33 (3598 days ago) @ Cody Miller

The funny thing is, Borderlands (especially 2) almost did this. All Legendary gear can (theoretically) be obtained from any loot source, but with a very low drop rate. However, most Legendary items have a specific character or location where the drop rate is higher. So for example, if I want a Hellfire SMG in BL2, I could just run around the whole game killing everything and hoping one drops. But statistically, I'm better off fighting a boss called Scorch, who tends to drop it more.

While this is ALMOST the same as your idea, BL2 sort of ruins it in that the drops aren't guaranteed. So you end up doing the same thing over and over again. And not just a couple of times. We could be talking tens or hundreds of attempts for some items. If Scorch ALWAYS dropped the Hellfire, it would have been a better game, at least to me. Adjustments would have to be made to account for it, of course. Either make the drops much harder to obtain by making the bosses more difficult or putting things in hard-to-reach locations, or make enemies tougher in general to account for the fact that everyone has a bunch of legendary items.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread