Hypothetical - Guardian Trainer (Destiny)

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Tuesday, June 24, 2014, 02:01 (3600 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I found running into enemies that I could dent because I simply wasn't the right level very frustrating in the alpha. I want my character to improve when I improve. The increasing frequency of nailing a running elite with a plasma grenade, figuring out how to hurtle around Valhalla on a mongoose just right, making more and more impressive jumps? These all were super fun and satisfying. If they happen because of some stat increase, I immediately don't care, it's just passage of time in a game to me.

I worry about how this will effect going back and enjoying the content. Let's say that I absolutely loved the explore area from the Alpha when I was lvl 3. Then when I'm playing it at Lvl 8, it's boring as I wipe out anything I point my gun at. To enjoy it again I'll need to re-roll a character and then level it up to level 3 and enjoy it for the period of time I'm at that level? When I'm level 20, will I be able to enjoy the Devil's Lair strike without re-rolling? Ugh.

[image]
hi there, I'm a higher level, once you arbitrarily have a level like mine, you'll be able to arbitrarily beat me, without really improving yourself

Also popularity as validation is a fallacy, otherwise we'd have to throw our hands in the air and admit the game design brilliance of slot machines and other terrible addictive gambling systems.

I stopped playing Skyrim after a few hours because the moment to moment gameplay was boring and because of the difficulty I was playing on I had become absurdly resistant to damage after a few hours of playing, completely throwing off the balance of the combat and it all became quite rote. I'd say the reason I play Spelunky every day and wince when I think of Skyrim is best summed up here

Oh and my answer would be yes, I would rock the trainer. I would love to play around with the different abilities and find out exactly the guardian I want to be. I would then explore every inch of the game taking on challenges with my mates.

If you enjoy arbitrary progress and grinding mechanics in your games, cool, you and I just prioritize our time differently.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread