You don't 'get' Destiny (Destiny)

by RC ⌂, UK, Monday, August 04, 2014, 05:56 (3573 days ago) @ kapowaz

Requiring that players carry around a second (presumably inferior) weapon just to ensure they have a damage type that isn't resisted isn't interesting gameplay.

You think those 9 spare slots for each item of gear are for nothing? They're so you can customise to the individual mission or even encounter if you want.

It was already evident in the Alpha and I came on here and told everyone that switching between weapons of the same type (shotgun->shotgun, MG->MG) carried no ammo penalty. Something like that doesn't just get dropped in with no reason.

You can have duplicates that are equally powerful, just of different damage types. Already happened in the Beta: I was rolling around with 2 Gozen-C Sniper Rifles, one Arc and one Solar. Aim right, with the right damage type, and most Fallen Captains and Hive Wizards dropped in a single shot.

How do you think Cody was able to take out the Wizard in a single burst of his Fusion Rifle? Correct damage type

I did the same thing in the Alpha - except with a Solar Rocket Launcher.

This is not unprecedented: in Halo it was Plasma for shields, bullets for health.

Ever tried played with the Tilt skull on? Shoot an Elite all day with an Assault Rifle if you like - all you'll get is a mocking 'wort wort wort'.

Gear too: I did some Ability-only runs in the Beta to see if it was possible (it is). Eventually I realised I could sacrifice a little defence, to use a helmet that sped up my melees, maximise my stats for grenade recharge, balance the other pieces to up my throwing knife recharge, etc.

I much prefer the idea that bosses require you to change what type of weapon within a class you use, e.g. Auto Rifle vs Scout Rifle.

There is really not much difference between the primaries other than range and handling properties. All the ones we've seen just do standard 'kinetic' damage.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread