Quitters (Destiny)

by kapowaz, Monday, August 04, 2014, 09:51 (3573 days ago) @ squidnh3

This seems like a pretty reasonable choice. Have you guys considered the effects of quitters on a hypothetical Matchmaking raid?

It's a very good point — I did one Strike where one guy left quite early on, and then during the seemingly endless slog against the Devil Walker my companion gave up and left. Eventually I got bored (I wasn't very well geared, so it seemed like the Devil Walker was barely budging in health) and left too.

It immediately got me thinking: what exactly are you supposed to do when this happens? Quit and queue again? Could Bungie in any way incentivise players to join a Strike that was already underway (perhaps some bonus glimmer or a chance at a nice item)?

In WoW this problem can be particularly bad if the player that leaves is one of the two essential roles for dungeons and raids: healers and tanks. In a dungeon you only have one of each, so if either leaves you usually can't continue until they're replaced. Blizzard chooses to prioritise re-filling groups missing a key role over starting a new dungeon, although you're not explicitly rewarded for that. They do incentivise queuing for any role that's in short supply, by offering a chance at cosmetic rewards (rare mount drops) for those that sign up.

Luckily Destiny doesn't make any class mandatory in that way, so that's less of a concern. Still, it'd be great if Bungie were able to prevent Strikes from falling apart once somebody leaves with something similar.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread