... - I'm ok with this! :D (Destiny)

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Tuesday, August 19, 2014, 21:04 (3549 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Disable character progression in custom games. Job done.

That was my first thought, however then you have other players surpassing you because they play Matchmaking. Since the game is ultimately going to revolve around gear, and gear is gotten with crucible marks and stuff, then playing custom games essentially puts you "behind".

Flawed system. Don't you just love player investment?

I'm confused and think I'm misunderstanding you. Wouldn't it be the same as simply not playing (i.e. doing anything else in your life) from the perspective of character/gear growth? Does that mean every minute I don't play, I'm "behind"?

It also means every minute I sit on the cliffs of Old Russia looking at the Moon and aurora, I'm "behind"...

That's why gear and leveling is a fun a mini-game, and it it's good way to find yourself lead into new activities, but it's the activities themselves, exploring, blasting, etc. that the game revolves around, for me. Gear is just a metaphorical map beacon from that perspective.

For me, customs isn't a big deal as I'm not a 'versus' or competitive player. I have a feeling it will be a nice addition down the road, though, simply so that I can sit around and explore the multiplayer maps without being murdered. But there's going to be plenty more stuff I'd rather do first, though...

Still, I don't see why they couldn't work with the leveling turned off.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread