Levels

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 15:27 (4048 days ago) @ Dagoonite

I don't know if Destiny will have the opportunities to solo things (at least, not at my skill level) but I am excited to find out what exact method they plan on using for the leveling system. I doubt that they'll exactly follow any of the existing systems, instead putting their own take on the whole leveling thing. I also expect that there will be guides to building an uber-soldier within a month of the game shipping.

If you can't productively/enjoyably play by yourself I probably either won't play for long or won't play that often, since I'll probably be by myself more often than not whether I want to be or not (and a lot of the time I do want to play by myself).

Leveling isn't a bad thing. It can be argued that it's an easy way to simulate real-world skill progression.

I'm sure that's why it exists in the first place, and that's why I don't like it. Maybe playing video games isn't that useful in general but at least with most of them I'm getting better at that particular game and probably working on my dexterity, but if I'm just increasing some numbers that make what I've been doing (or roughly the same thing) more effective, I don't even have that actual progression, and it seems even more pointless.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread