Presses 1

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 18:02 (4075 days ago) @ Anton P. Nym (aka Steve)
edited by General Vagueness, Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 18:09

most FTL travel in fiction isn't based on very sound stuff, at least according to our understanding now, so that doesn't really help

Neither is Halo's Slipspace;

like I said, most FTL in fiction isn't based on anything very sound or solid

if you want star-spanning space operas you're going to have to fudge science-as-we-know-it somehow.

Do you see how I said FTL in fiction? I have moderately good hopes for the warp drive/Alcubierre drive, which basically uses a loophole in how space-time works (or at least the standard theories of it), going on the idea that space-time itself can warp (change shape and configuration) faster than the speed of light.

Much as I love Halo, the FTL in it was kinda tacked on and I've always griped that weapons technology shown was too primitive for societies that can travel between stars.

FTL is kind of necessary for what they were doing, and even if it was tacked on it turned into something a little bigger and more important. As for weapons, a society having one advanced technology doesn't mean they'll have a different one. If you don't want to go with that, I still like these ideas.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread